Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reality Bites

REALITY BITES
I'm a dreamer. I spend more than half of my days in a weird fantasy world where I have entire conversations with people and react to situations that have never happened. I'm constantly scoring a movie within my mind, writing scenes in my memory. Music allows for this to happen. And now, thanks to Brendan, everyone can glimpse the tunes that are optimal when running away from reality.

1. Loney, Dear - I Was Only Going Out (escape at 1:23)
One day, I'm going to sit down and write out the scenes that have been building the movie in my mind. This song will be part of the soundtrack. I've tied it so tightly to a specific image that every time I listen to this song, I'm lost for nearly four minutes.


2. Holy Fuck - Lovely Allen (escape at 2:25)
First time I heard this I was on a plane that was starting to land. Sadly, I was landing in Orlando for a National Sales Meeting. But I dream about this being the perfect song for the beginning of an adventure.


3. M83 - We Own the Sky (escape at 1:12)
M83 might be the master of escapism. This song comes on while I'm on the train and it's a one-way ticket to my own little world of thoughts.


4. Jimmy Eat World - Sweetness (escape at 0:01)
This is one of those songs you put on and all of a sudden you just want to run as fast as you can as far as you can without looking back.


5. The Stone Roses - Waterfall (escape at 0:30)
Close your eyes while this plays and you're in the warmth of a summer sun. No cares. No worries. Just let it all go.


6. VHS or Beta - Bring On the Comets (escape at 1:27)
Takes you from reality to an atmospherically wonderland land with an ever-present downbeat.


7. Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (escape at 0:41)
My secret wish: to live the life of a Bret East Ellis character. One where I abuse all the drugs, have all the sex, and break every rule. I'll never have the unbridled courage or balls to do so, so this song will have to do.


8. The Get Up Kids - I'm a Loner Dottie, a Rebel (escape at 0:45)
This is on and I'm 17 again. And everything is awesome.


9. Jemina Pearl - Ecstatic Appeal (escape at 0:30)
This is my new favorite song. I listened to it 20 times one afternoon. When I hear it, I want to be on stage, singing this song. (This is the WORST video - do not judge the song based on this!)


10. Sigur Ros - Inni mer singer vitleysingur (escape at 2:17)
What Sigur Ros song is not an opportunity for escape?


11. Filter - Miss Blue (escape at 1:49)
And, out of left field, I offer you a song from Filter. When I was 17, I used to listen to this a lot while driving around - mostly procrastinating before arriving at school. Windows down, music loud, my mind wandering (which probably explains all the car accidents…)

12. Owen - You Should Do It Now While It's On Your Mind (escape at 0:01)
Whenever I need a break from life. Whenever it seems overwhelming or like everything is against me. This is the song I turn to. I listen to it in the dark. And when it's over, things are OK again.

13. Stars - Going Going Gone (escape at 0:47)
Lush. Beautiful. Like a lovely dream should be.


14. Badly Drawn Boy - The Shining (escape at 1:18)
There's a scene in the move Get Over It where the two main characters (Ben Foster and Kirsten Dunst) transition to a magical forest world while this song plays. It's perfect.


15. Pulp - Like a Friend (escape at 2:12)
And… GO.


16. Broken Social Scene - Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl (escape at 2:00)
I'm certain I've used this in a playlist before, but it's the ultimate reality-bender for me. If I ever do pen that screenplay, this is a requisite song for a very, very specific scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment