Sunday, June 28, 2009

Evan's Saddest Songs

Good start, Allison. Here are mine...some will have explanations, others just lyrics. No rhyme or reason.

Total runtime comes in at 66:41

1. Saves the Day - The Choke (2:34)
This song reminds me of so many nauseating moments I could've avoided if I'd been smarter about who I tricked myself into loving.
lyrics: and i thought that maybe if i had to bite the tip of my finger / i'd stumble over words / tell you just how far / before i hit the ground / and i'm the type to think of all the wrong things to say / i will shut myself up / and i'll never come out / close all my doors / only show you the black spots where my eyes once were / i can't say this

2. Ben Folds Five - Brick (4:31)
Absolutely heartcrunching
lyrics: driving back to her apartment / for the moment we're alone / she's alone / and i'm alone / now i know it

3. The Format - On Your Porch (5:12)
lyrics: what's left to lose / you've done enough / and if you fail well then you fail, but not to us / cause these last three years, i know they've been hard / but now it's time to get out of the desert and into the sun / even if it's alone

4. Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay (4:16)
Ever seen the Kermit the Frog cover on YouTube? Saddest puppet ever. (link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oEYMGL0ZtA)

5. of Montreal - Cato as a Pun (3:01)
lyrics: i can't even pretend that you are my friend / what has happened to you and i / and don't say that i have changed / cause man of course i have

6. The Weakerthans - Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure (4:07)
I fell in love with Virtute when she offered to cater a party with "all the birds that [she] can kill" in Plea From a Cat Named Virtute. I was heartbroken to learn she had run away, lamenting "I can't remember the sound that you found for me."

7. Get Up Kids - Out of Reach (3:46)
lyrics: start over / it's no way to begin

8. Iron and Wine - Sodom South Georgia (4:59)
Beautiful. Creepy.
lyrics: papa died while my / girl lady edith was born / both heads fell like / eyes on a crack in the door

9. Coldplay - Shiver (4:58)
What's really sad is Coldplay's post-Parachutes shit.
lyrics: so I look in your direction / but you pay me no attention / and you know how much I need you / but you never even seen me

10. Bayside - Winter (4:27)
Incredible tribute to Beatz, their drummer who passed while they were on tour
lyrics: i’ve been feeling 3 feet tall this month / hardly indestructible / but the snow melts and the rhythm still goes on

11. Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye (4:31)
lyrics: kiss me, please kiss me / but kiss me out of desire, babe, and not consolation / oh, you know it makes me so angry cause I know that in time / i'll only make you cry, this is our last goodbye

12. Brand New - Seventy x 7 (3:34)
Nothing quite as depressing as being betrayed by a friend
lyrics: i remember i kept thinking / that i know you never would / and now I know I want to kill you / like only a best friend could

13. Motion City Soundtrack - Hold Me Down (5:19)
I accidentally put this on a mix for my girlfriend at the time...oops.
lyrics: you're the echoes of my everything / you're the emptiness the whole world sings at night / you're the laziness of afternoon / you're the reason why I burst and why I bloom / how will I break the news to you? / how will I break the news to you?

14. Beatles - Eleanor Rigby (2:07)
lyrics: eleanor rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name / nobody came / father mckenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave / no one was saved

15. Gary Jules - Mad World (3:03)
lyrics: children waiting for the day they feel good / happy birthday, happy birthday / and i feel the way that every child should / sit and listen, sit and listen / went to school and i was very nervous / no one knew me, no one knew me / hello teacher tell me what's my lesson / look right through me, look right through me

16. M Ward - Vincent O'Brien (2:38)
lyrics: he only dreams when he's sad / and he's sad all the time / so he dreams the whole night through / yeah, he dreams in the daytime, too

17. Johnny Cash - Hurt (3:38)
Cash delivers this lyrically haunting NIN masterpiece so convincingly you'd never know (or care) that it's a cover. It's also one of the few songs that is paired with a near-perfect video.
lyrics: i hurt myself today / to see if i still feel / i focus on the pain / the only thing that's real

-----

here they are on imeem. not so sure about the quality, and I'm missing Hold Me Down and Eleanor Rigby.

No comments:

Post a Comment