Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Re: Allison's Saddest Songs

Allison would have you believe that all sad songs must incorporate acoustic guitars, pianos, strings, and, if possible, windchimes. However, not everyone deals with sadness by crying into their pillow, or alone "in the bathroom stall at work." Some people yell, some punch walls, and some people even write scathing tweets about their stupid ex-girlfriend who they caught grinding the art teacher. I'm not bitter.

I know this sounds crazy, but some experiences can evoke multiple emotions at the same time, like sadness and anger. Here's an example: last night I went to see Transformers, and I left the theater both disappointed (terrible waste of money) and horny (Optimus Prime is a hunk). I think that also describes almost all of my experiences at strip clubs.

If you still don't believe me, watch this:




That said, here's my take on Allison's list.


DEFINITELY!
+ The Weakerthans - Left & Leaving (4:46)
For the same reasons Allison used for "Evaporated" and "Brick." I listen to this song when I'm away from home and want to torture myself. I guess it's my own personal form of bondage.

+ Owen - One of These Days (3:44)
Goddamn this song is so bleak. "one of these days i'll make some money and buy myself those things that i want...one of these days i'll give up and give into the man."

+ Stars - Heart (5:56)
Excruciatingly real

+ Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter (4:48)
I think most people can relate to this one.

+ Ryan Adams - Wonderwall (4:09)
Everything Allison said.

+ Joy Division - Atmosphere (4:08)
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah

+ Kyle Fischer - It Seems to Me (I've Long Been Dead) (4:11)
Such a cleverly masked, enormously sad song.

+ The Reindeer Section - Your Sweet Voice (4:47)
We all have a tendency to misinterpret songs at first, but thinking this song is happy is like mistaking Carlos Mencia for a comedian. Or me for a clever person.

+ Snow Patrol - You Could Be Happy (3:02)
"do the things that you always wanted to / without me there to hold you back, don't think, just do"

MAYBE!
Jimmy Eat World - Cautioners (5:21)
My love for JEW aside, I'm not sure this song is really sad "enough," and I think "Drugs or Me" is much, much more depressing. Don't get me wrong, "Cautioners" is a great song, but I don't think it's even their saddest.

Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights (4:11)
"100 times better than the original" is a stretch, and I don't think it's in the same league as the other covers on here ("Mad World," "Hurt," and "Wonderwall"). Sodom South Georgia is sadder...let's fight.

The Jazz June - At the Artist's Leisure (pt. 2) (5:44)
I can see and respect why Allison would have this on her list, but I don't think this song is universally sad.

The Stills - Everything I Build (3:50) / Editors - Well Worn Hand (2:54) / Pedro the Lion - The Longer I Lay Here (3:04)
Great songs, but I still need convincing.


NO!
- Ben Folds Five - Evaporated
Brick wins

- Bloc Party - Signs
Ok...this song is definitely sad, but I think we're better served holding on to Bloc Party for a later list when they can really stand out from the crowd.

- Sufjan Stevens - To Be Alone With You
I think it's sad when people sing about all the silly things they'd do to go to heaven, rail 99 virgins, or, in this case, hang out with a 2000 year old zombie. Situation=sad. Song=not sad.


So, that brings us to 72:14, given we agree on the locks. We have 7:46 to work with should we choose to do so. BRING IT ON.

7 comments:

  1. Beck - Guess I'm Doing Fine

    Wilco - Radio Cure

    TV on the Radio - Blind

    Oasis - Talk Tonight

    Damien Rice - 9 Crime (by far the saddest of his catalog)

    Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism

    Sufjan Stevens - Seer's Tower

    Fredo Viola - The Sad Song

    Sigur Ros - The Nothing Song

    Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

    Nikka Costa - Push & Pull

    Van Morrison - I'll Be Your Lover Too

    Agents of Good Roots - I'll Be Back

    Ryan Adams - Shadowlands

    Ray LaMontagne - Lesson Learned ("Empty" is equally as sad)

    Ben Harper - Walk Away

    David Gray - Gathering Dust

    Jon Brion - Here We Go

    Citizen Cope - Holding On

    Robin Thicke - Dreamworld

    Badly Drawn Boy - Minor Incidents

    Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight

    Cat Power - I Found A Reason

    Jon Butler Trio - What You Want

    Iron & Wine - Trapeze Swinger

    Ben Folds - Wandering

    Tara King - The District Sleeps Alone Tonight

    Al Green - How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

    Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia

    Dear Darling - The Coldest War

    Jeff Buckley - Hallelujiah

    Embrace - Gravity

    Athlete - Chances

    Blue Merle - Every Ship

    Aimee Mann - Save Me

    Elliott Smith - Oh Well, Okay

    Bloc Party - Blue Light (Engineers anti-gravity remix)

    Augustana - Boston

    Association - Never My Love

    Azure Ray - Sleep

    Leona Naess - Ballerina

    Au Revoir Simone - Stay Golden

    Billy Joel - And So It Goes

    Coldplay - See You Soon

    Joe Purdy - Suitcase

    Joshua Radin - Winter

    Turin Brakes - Rain City

    Travis - Last Train

    Pinback - Boo

    Band of Horses - The Funeral

    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

    Bell X1 - In Every Sunflower

    Bang Gang - Follow

    The Perishers - Nothing Like You and I

    Mojave 3 - Bluebird of Happiness

    Smashing Pumpkins - To Forgive

    Cinematic Orchestra - To Build A Home

    The Killers - Dustland Fairytale

    Mellowdrone - Orange Marmalade

    Sia - Paranoid Android

    Feist - Lover's Spit

    Glen Hansard - Falling Slowly

    Procol Harum -A Whiter Shade of Pale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devotchka - How It Ends

    Vera November - Our Last Night Together

    Stephen Speaks - The Leaving Song

    The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work

    Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

    Johnny Cash - I Hung My Head

    Tricky - Hell Is Around The Corner

    Massive Attack - Angel

    Interpol - Untitled

    Stoney - Best Laid Plans

    Richard Ashcroft - Science of Silence

    Moby and Patti Labelle - One of These Mornings

    The Coconutz - Nothing Compares 2U

    Pulp - Like A Friend

    Radiohead - All I Need

    Frightened Rabbit - Keep Yourself Warm

    John Gold - It's Going

    The Tindersticks - El Diablo en el Ojo

    Air - Playground Love

    Portishead - Nobody Loves Me

    Postal Service - Against All Odds

    Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Parallel or Together

    Placebo - Running Up That Hill

    Chris Cornell - Sunshower

    Mazzy Star - Sweet Jane

    Soul Coughing - True Dreams of Wichita

    Duffy - Stepping Stone

    South - Nine Lives

    Elton John - Mona Lisa and the Mad Hatters

    The Zombies - The Way I Feel Inside

    Rachael Yamagata - Worn Me Down

    Rolling Stones - Moonlight Mile

    Fiona Apple - Shadowboxing

    Griffin House - Ah Me

    Bob Dylan - Tangled Up In Blue

    Antony & the Johnstons - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

    Clem Snide - Moment In The Sun

    Counting Crows - Colorblind

    Dan Auerbach - When The Night Comes

    Duncan Sheik - She Runs Away

    Eels - Fresh Feeling

    M. Ward - Here Comes the Sun Again

    Patrick Park - Something Pretty

    Sebastian Tellier - La Ritournelle

    Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten

    Alexi Murdoch - Orange Sky

    Aqualung - Strange & Beautiful

    Clint Eastwood - Jimmy's Anguish

    Anthony Hamilton - Do You Feel Me

    Halloween Alaska - All The Arms Around You

    The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition

    The American Analog Set - Choir Vandals

    Jump Little Children - Cathedrals

    Tunng - Pioneers

    Wendy Rene - After Laughter Comes Tears

    J Ralph - One Million Miles Away

    Stephen Kellogg - See You Later See You Soon

    Satchel - Suffering

    Michael Stipe - In The Sun

    James Taylor - Fire & Rain

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea i realized not long after i posted my list that "guess i'm doing fine" is a huge miss on my part. quite possibly the saddest song of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made a setlist with the given guidelines of under 80min....I don't think I can even listen to this all the way through:

    1.Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
    2.The Kinks - Nothing In This World
    3.Ray LaMontagne - Jolene
    4.Cat Power - I Found A Reason
    5.TV on the Radio - Blind
    6.Ryan Adams - Call Me On Your Way Back Home
    7.Damien Rice - 9 Crimes
    8.Johnny Cash - Hurt
    9.Radiohead - Scatterbrain (acoustic)
    10.Elliott Smith - I Didn't Understand
    11.Death Cab For Cutie - Brothers On A Hotel Bed
    12.Aimee Mann - Save Me
    13.The Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight
    14.Travis - Last Train
    15.Dear Darling - Everything All At Once
    16.Antony and the Johnsons - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    17.Band of Horses - The Funeral
    18.Iron & Wine and Calexico - Dead Man's Will

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris: Love the playlist title! I've been listening to these songs for the past week and a half and I'm about to do something drastic if we don't change it up a bit...

    I can get behind the Jeff Buckley (ha, Evan!) and Travis. For Death Cab I might have picked "I Will Follow You Into the Dark."

    ReplyDelete
  6. hallelujah is a sex song. most people don't cry during sex (can't speak for the two of you), so it doesn't qualify as a universally sad song.

    ReplyDelete