Monday, June 29, 2009

Re: Evan's Saddest Songs

OK, Evan. Let the fighting begin.

Keep It!
+ Ben Folds Five - Brick
I chose "Evaporated" because it's sad to me - especially when I need it, but this is one of those universally sad songs.

+ The Format - On Your Porch
Holy shit! How had I never heard this song before? The lines about the dad being sick and running away from that so you don't have to say goodbye? Welcome to my biggest fear. And those lyrics Evan quotes? Wow. Add it!

+ Elliott Smith - Needle in the Hay
I was in NYC for the CMJ Music Marathon when I heard that Elliott Smith had stabbed himself in the heart. That night, I went to see Mates of State, and they closed with an amazingly subtle (words not often used to describe that band in their early days) cover of this. The whole thing is tragic and beautiful. (And yeah - that puppet video is the saddest.)

+ Coldplay - Shiver
a) Because I love the myth that this was written about Natalie Imbruglia (and that she clearly had enough foresight to know that Chris Martin was going to go insane and name babies after fruits and the Old Testament), and b) what Evan wrote is funny, true, and very very sad.

+ Bayside - Winter
So so so good. I'd never heard this either. A welcome addition to a Saddest Songs mix. Tragedies often bring out some of the most amazing melodies.

+ Gary Jules - Mad World
Another amazing example of making a song never once thought of as sad into such a devastingly depressing track that you'll never forget it.

+ M. Ward - Vincent O'Brien
Beautiful.

+ Johnny Cash - Hurt
Kermit also sings "Hurt," and remains a very sad puppet indeed.



Could Go Either Way
The Weakerthans - Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure
Listen, I love this song. a) It is an amazing Weakerthans song. b) It is about a cat. That is a recipe for success. However, it's going to be hard for me to give any ground on "Left & Leaving" (assuming we're following the rule of only one song per artist on each mix).

The Get Up Kids - Out of Reach
I love this song! But I don't know if it's the saddest thing here or when compared to at least half of my list. The line "I've got pictures to prove I was there / But you don't care" is a killer though.

Iron & Wine - Sodom, South Georgia
Again, I love this song! But I also love how he took one of the poppiest, most upbeat songs and made it a depressing soul-cruncher.

Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
I'm only lukewarm to this, which is a direct result of how haunting his cover of "Hallelujah" is. Perhaps a "Covers Mix" will soon be upon us.

Motion City Soundtrack - Hold Me Down
Evan, you are retarded.

Ehhhh...
- Saves the Day - The Choke
I feel like this is more angry than sad?

- Of Montreal - Cato as a Pun
I can't connect the words "Of Montreal" and "sad" in my head. Does not compute.

- Brand New - Seventy x 7
Maybe it's the fast-pacedness of this track - like the Saves the Day track - that makes me think this is more angry than sad? I want to punch someone in the face, not have a cry in the bathroom stall at work.

- The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby
I agree that this is sad. But I don't know if it fits? Sometimes I feel like it's weird to have a Beatles song on a mix. Maybe it's just me.

All right, dude: Have at my selections. Be gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment