Monday, October 12, 2009

Best Of: Owen

I've been in love with Owen for years. I remember the first song I ever heard from him and everything about that moment when I pressed play. Seeing him live will never cease to leave an ear-to-ear grin on my face for days. Or that creepy stalker/star-struck look I have right up there. I met him. I spoke to him. And I'd never been so nervous!

1. One Of These Days
One of these days I'll make some money / And buy myself those things that I want: / Acrylic paints, acoustic guitar strings, a new bicycle seat / For my ride over to your house each night



2. Who Found Who'se Hair In Who's Bed?
I’m usually not one to speak out / But your decisions of late are, on all accounts / Pretty fucked up / And not in a good way

3. Good Friends, Bad Habits
Well sometimes, like every time a train passes / I get jealous of the long nights / And blurred lights / The red eyes / The bar fights / Where in the hell am I, and how did I get here? / And which way to the nearest train?


4. You Should Do It Now While It's On Your Mind
It's your last chance to change things / I know you've been getting by / But I saw you at the party without a drink in hand or a word in mouth / Nothing to do or talk about / Poor skinny fat kid without any interest in making friends / It's not easy being / But i know, it's not easy being
[This song makes more sense to me than I care to admit!]

5. The Sad Waltzes of Pietro Crespi
Could you love someone who does whatever he wants to do / Whenever I want to? / It's a simple question / I'm only asking 'cause I don't want to die alone


6. More Than Words
[Extreme cover! Excellent.]

7. Femme Fatale
[We've been over this. An Owen cover of a Velvet Underground song about Edie Sedgwick. Perfect?]

8. New Leaves
You'll spend your whole fucking life walking

9. Declaration Of Incompetence
I don't know what I think / I'm unsure that I could or couldn't care less or more / About everyone I do or don't know

10. Breaking Away
We're two bicyles, ridden / Too tired to know / Which one of us of us two / Was dumb enough to choose the other as a lover

11. Bags of Bones
We're two bags of bones / broken and talking of people we both know in common / Amongst other things that I shouldn't mention

12. Never Meant
[This exchange between Mike Kinsella and some dude who doesn't know much is hysterical - and from the Owen MySpace page:

Date: Nov 20, 2008 11:35 PM You should really put Never Meant as a cover since it is by American Football and you didn't write it. :| I apologize if you already did, but I didn't see anything about it. That's one of my favorite songs and that's why I'm reacting like this.

From: OWEN Date: Nov 20, 2008 6:08 PM ummm...but i did write it. mk

Why are you lying? They wrote that song circa 1999. You pretty much changed some lyrics around to make it your own (which really sucks by the way.) What's the harm of putting "cover" after it? You're a disgrace to the music business if you can't even write your own music and steal other people's amazing work.

From: OWEN Date: Nov 20, 2008 11:35 PM um (again)....I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I'm laughing anyway... mk

You are making me facepalm to no end. Why would I be joking about this? And WHY are you playing stupid? You can get in serious trouble for doing this. Hello copyrights. You can stop trying to sound like you're right, WHEN YOU KNOW you aren't. So why are you doing this? Take the song down or change it so it says it's a cover. It's just wrong. How could you do this? Do you have a conscience? And if you really are that stupid.. (Which I doubt) http://www. myspace. com/amfootball - It's right there. Liars like you live the shortest lives.]

13. Nobody's Nothing
Go on, get out of here / You’ve got everything you came for / Warm arms, a warm bed to fall into / When you can’t get what you did out of your head

14. The Ghost of What Should Have Been
What else in this fucking empty room reminds me of fucking you? / An orphaned couch where I spent some long nights / While you went out with our friends
[Here's another that hits where it hurts.]

15. Curtain Call
From now on it's do's and don'ts / To a room of antique maps and ghosts / Where I have been where I will go

16. Places to Go
You were taking a break from life / You were traveling light / (A pair of walking shoes and a sweater) / You were where you were / When you pictured where you'd be: / Anywhere but home
[This was the first song of Owen's I ever heard. And it's still my favorite. Always will be.]

There you have it: an hour of Owen.

No comments:

Post a Comment