Monday, August 31, 2009

One Year Down..

singapore

So I've been in Singapore (not China) for just over a year now. From the "karaoke" and delicious food to the bowels of boredom and never-ending diarrhea, it's been quite an experience so far! According to my contract, I have two more to go.

I've seen some strange toilets and some even stranger English translations. I've had to yell a lot, but only to get people to speak up and not because I'm American (I'm deaf/a bad listener). I've enjoyed working with people that I'd consider to be incredibly smart and great friends, which I could never say about my previous job. I've learned how to say "thank you" in mandarin, as well as "dearest little sister's breast milk." I've slept in a bed almost every night, which is remarkable. I've been to some sexy places and hope to explore even more. I've tried durian and stinky tofu, and can honestly say the flavors don't make up for the nasal bitchslap. I've been better about keeping in touch with people from home, but I'm still terrible at it. I have not been caned...yet.

Here's a playlist centered around my time in Singapore and Asia.


1 - Lifetime - Airport Monday Morning
I left on a Monday, and arrived on a Wednesday. That was my first experience in time travel.



2 - Jets to Brazil - Chinatown
Where I've been living this past year. I've seen some strange things and it certainly isn't the "glam" life, but I wouldn't pass it up for the cushiest expat condo.
singapore

3 - The Sounds - Fire
It's hot. All the time. I was told I'd get used to it. I never will.


4 - Travis - Why Does it Always Rain on Me?
When it's not hades, it's monsoon. Sometimes it switches from hades to monsoon and back to hades. Those are the worst days.
singapore

5 - Two Tongues - Dead Lizard
Nothing makes me sadder than seeing dead geckos, even if they crap everywhere and are poorly represented by that Geico asshole.

6 - Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
More like Saturday afternoons, and some Sundays. The good thing about it basically being Summer all year is that I get to play soccer most weekends. The bad thing about it basically being Summer all year is that I look like a radish after every game.
singapore

7 - M. Ward - Chinese Translation
"Hey how do I order a beer?" "Oh just say to the waitress, 'xiao mei mei, ren nai.'" (see above)

8 - The Shins - Australia
I used to think most Aussies were big douchey drunks and that most northern Europeans were pretty cool and fun. Seems I had them mistaken for one another.

9 - Teddybears - Cobrastyle
Snakes suck. I was worried that Singapore would be like Guam or pre-St. Patrick Ireland or an episode of Man vs. Wild, but I've only seen one snake since I've been here, and it was in the Botanical Gardens. They're not "falling from the trees" as Allison feared.

10 - Dj Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Boom Shake the Room
The second song I heard in 2009 made up for the first in ways that I didn't think possible. Then again, it's not hard to beat "Sweet Home Alabama," especially when it's played in a bar called China One. That's how you want to ring in the new year? Seriously? This is my life.


11 - The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site
The construction never stops! And they're damn good at it. They would've finished the Big Dig in 3 months.
singapore

12 - Jimmy Eat World - Lucky Denver Mint
13 - The Get Up Kids - Out of Reach
"Clarity" and "Something to Write Home About" celebrated their 10 year anniversaries since I've been here. This makes me feel like an old man since I wasn't all that young when these came out. I'm bummed that I've missed seeing them this year (as well as pretty much every other show worth going to). At least there's always Beyonce and Black Eyed Peas!!!!!!! I hope Nickelback can take time out of their busy schedules to make a stop in Singapore, too!!!

14 - Guster - Homecoming King
I'll be back mothalickas!


...two to go!

1 comment: